Monday 10 October 2016

A way to use up scrap strings

Today, I have had a very productive day.  After we said good bye to our grandkids and their parents, we all settled back into things.  The kids caught up on their homework, and I took a pile of quilts to the basement to iron and pin baste them.

Poor Maddie, our puppy, crawled under the blankets and pillows that the grandchildren and their parents used.  I really feel she misses them already.  Other than coming up for lunch and dinner, she spent most of the day down there.  We did get her out to play for a bit, but once we came back in, you could find her here.


I spent the day with her here too.  I stayed with her and worked on ironing some quilt tops and quilt backings.  I managed to pin baste one of my oldest UFOs (Un Finished Objects), my navy blue and cream coloured quilt.  I started this quilt back in 2003, finished it a bit later, but there it sat, waiting for me to come up with a quilting design.  I've decided to just start quilting it, in the ditch and see where it leads me.

Than I move on to enlarging the backing to fit a donation quilt called Grandpa's Stars quilt, a pattern from Bonnie Hunter.  Once I was done that, I continued onward to pin baste the quilt.  After that was done, I worked at making a backing for one of the quilt tops my daughter made.  She makes them and guess who ends up having to quilt them.....  I actually got this one pin basted too.  Like I said, it was a very productive day!

When I am not making quilts or quilting them, I am usually reading about them.  I came across one of Bonnie Hunter's quilts, that I wanted to save for a possible further quilt, that I want to make, to use up the strings that keep multiplying.

Imagine taking the flying geese and the other odd shape out (ie the sashing, from the string blocks).  You would get the strips connecting.  The blues would all be making short strips across the blocks and the yellows would be making long strips across the whole row of blocks.  That might be cool, in any colour way one chose to do.  

I would suggest leaving the placement, of the current blue, as the dominant colour, of the two, when remaking it.  As they are short strips it would draw more attention to them and help them stand out.  The long strips that run across the whole row already draw the attention, so you don't want to make that the dominant colour.



Just a suggestion for a future quilt I may want to make down the road.  For when I am trying to use up all my strings.  Bonnie Hunter is a fountain of information and ideas. I am VERY grateful to her and all the other scrap users out there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment