Friday 14 October 2016

Played with my leader/ender quilt

Yesturday I did a lot of quilting on my navy blue and cream quilt.  I finished all the in-the-ditch sewing, all four ways (vertically, horizontally, diagonal to the right and diagonally to the left).  Just as I'd hoped, some other quilting design ideas came to me for the various areas of the quilt.

I am trying to keep it simple on this one.  I have two more areas to workout, but different thoughts are coming and going for them.  Next, I will start quilting some of the areas of the cream, the ones that I know what I want to do with.  Pictures to follow when I am complete.

So.....in the meantime. Check out what else I have been playing with.


The other day after pin basting all of the quilts for quilting, I sat at my machine and contemplated what I was going to do next.  That is when I turned my head and saw my leader/ender box almost empty.  It got me thinking, I must be getting close to finishing my blocks for my leader/ender quilt.

Above is the container of blocks.  These are all the 16-patch blocks.  I only have seven more of these left to do.  I start assembling the pinwheel blocks for this quilt.  I have just this one block below done.


I have all together 98 pinwheel blocks to do.  Half of the blocks will spin one way and the other half will spin in the other direction.  When they get laid out alternating with the 16-patch blocks, the pinwheel blocks make a secondary pattern of a diagonal box surrounding the 16-patch blocks.

While I had the parts out, I counted what I had and noted that I only have 9 more HST (half square triangle) left to do.  That got me excited.  I ended up playing with my HSTs for a while.  I sorted them out onto sets of four to make the pinwheels, without having any repeat fabrics within a pinwheel block. 

I have to say that in this quilt there are a lot of different black HSTs, and as you can see in the picture below, there are some fall and Halloween fabrics mixed in too.


Now my box of leader/enders is full, or should I say overflowing with stuff to sew.  In the box, I also added some drunkards path block parts too.

The one good thing about this leader/ender is that it is one of the quilts on my list of 12 that ended up being 18.  Maybe there is hope of finishing this quilt before the end of the year, or at least finishing the top?  I would be happy with the top finished too.

No comments:

Post a Comment