Wednesday 29 July 2015

Reworked my sewing table

One of the things I did yesturday was reworked my sewing table.  I had my table custom made by a gentleman who started in the woodworking business.  I drew up a plan and sent him the measurements.  As he was making it I came up with a couple of things that I wanted to add to the units.  One of them was a lip or edge for the table surface.  The purpose was so when I was quilting large quilts, they wouldn't fall off the table and drag on my work.

So I called him up and asked if he could add an edge to the tables and left it at that.  When I got the table I was very happy.  He did a great job.  He did everything I asked him to do, and some.  He added a peg board in the lost space between the sewing machine table and the self for storage, and added wooden dividers in all the drawers to help keep it organized.  I liked it very much. Still do.

As time went by, I realized that the edging I asked him to install was quite tall.  It was almost 3" tall.  At the time I didn't really notice, but later when one of the pieces started to get loose due to people leaning against it to talk to me or some naturally go to sit on the edge of a table, I realized just how tall it was.

Yesturday I finally decided to deal with it.  I took out my table sew, sander, drill and bits.  I removed the pieces and cut off 1 3/4" off the height of the wood edge pieces.  Now they measure 1".  I think this will be the best size to do the job.


I also added more screws to hold the pieces on.  He initially had two screws per piece, but two of the pieces are almost 4' long.  I added an additional three screws for those two pieces and one for the small edge.  Now they are spaced out at approx. 11" apart.  As you can see in the picture above, I also added my meter stick to the side edge, facing my cutting board.


Here is a picture looking in the other direction.  It's easier to see the height with the sun casting a shadow.

Another small task done.  It only took me about a couple of hours, including cleaning up the mess I made doing it, vacuum and all.  It's only a little detail, but sometimes it's those little details that drive you bonkers, especially when I have to remind everyone not to lean on the edge or when the piece falls because the screws are no longer holding properly.

I'm back to work this morning.  Enjoyed the couple of days off attached to the weekend.  It almost seemed as though I had a week off.  Refreshed and ready to tackle the day.

Make the best of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment