Monday 6 July 2015

I started another comfort quilt

Last night, I started another comfort quilt.  The one and only time that I do not feel guilty for starting another quilt, even when I have a stack of them that I am working on.

I started this one for two reasons.  The first was I really needed a break from the Tiny Town appliqué.  I just couldn't do any more. Two days straight of appliqué when I'd rather be doing something else was just too much.  So I gave myself permission to start this quilt.  The second reason is to use up some scraps.


I got my GO! Cutter out and my bin of odd chunks of fabric scraps.  These scraps are left over stuff that I had that was not trimmed down. The pieces were smaller than a fat quarter but too big to cut up in strips just yet.  Some of this stuff is fabric that I had for a long time and was constantly being used in my scrap quilts, to the point that I was tired of them.

So, I took out the 2" strip die cutter and started trimming the scraps. I laid out the strips in random order on the design floor (design wall is too full).  When I do this I kind of take note of the colours I have to work with and how much of each I have.  I will start out with the bright stand out colours and distribute them over the general area/size of the quilt.  Once I handle the bright colours I will check out the fabrics that I really want to get rid of and use them up.  Lastly, I take the rest of the strips and evenly distribute them.  The above picture is what I ended up with.

Now I will start sewing the ends together in each row and later attach each row.  Simple quilt to make. Depending on the fabric used will chance the look of the quilt.  In my case I wanted a boy quilt, so I did not include any pinks or purples and nothing with pretty stuff like flowers.

What do you think?  I will show you a picture when it is done.  When it is sewn up it sort of tidies everything up.  You'll see.  It will look nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment