Monday 18 May 2015

Block #3 - Stashbuster's Ugly Sunshine BOM quilt

Block number three is five squares across by five squares down. Or you could treat it like a 4-patch with sashing in between.  Colour options are many and depending on were you choose to place your dark fabric, it could change the look of the block.


In my case in the end, I disregarded the light and dark parts of the block and went with colour.  I started out with all the light sections in my yellow fabric.  I was going to do one of my colours each for each of the corners.  But that seemed to break up the block.  I felt it was disconnected. So I decided to bring the block together with unifying the corner blocks with the blue and green only.  That left the centre cross and middle square for my other two colours.  I automatically put the purple fabric in the cross squares to make that stand out and the orange in the middle.

Throughout all this time of playing with my bits and pieces, I had forgotten to use my main fabric.  Where to put it...where to put it....hmmm.  The problem was that I liked the block the way it was.  But, I was determined to follow the rules.  Initially it didn't come to me, because I was stuck on the diagram and the placement of the dark and light sections.  Later, I thought to myself that I really only had a couple of places to put the main fabric.  In the light sections either in the middle parts or the outer parts.  I went with the inner parts.  However, that caused me to have to rearrange the purple and orange, as I felt the the middle was too dark in comparison to the rest of the block.


In the end I liked this new version more than my initial layout.  Which goes to show you that good things can come out of dilemmas of challenges.  You just have to be open enough to try different things.  That would go for things in life as well.  My block looks different than the diagram above, just by changing where the lights and darks go.  So, take your time and let the process evolve.  Try this and that.  When you have the right layout for your own fabrics the block will speak to you.  Have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment