Friday 3 April 2015

Third batch of pictures from the Etobicoke quilt show 2015

Here is the third batch of pictures from the Etobicoke quilt show 2015.  This batch is a variety of examples of how one can use their scraps,

This first on is the simple block called courthouse steps.  The layout in this one is with all the blocks oriented in the same direction, but there are numerous layouts that you can choose from.  The fabric used was reproduction '30-'40s.  There were not many '30-'40s fabrics at this quilt show.  This type of quilt is great for using up all your small scraps.


This next quilt is one that I have done in the past, minus the small squares.  It was easy to make and was great for my precut 2" strips.  This one is done with all black fabric and little bursts of blue.  The one I did was done in a variety of blues.  I took this picture as well to remind me to make another.  This time I may choose to do it as completely scrappy with only the squares a specific colour.


I took a picture of this table runner for my mom.  She likes it a lot.  I am going to try and find the pattern for this one.  This is a paper piece project.  I like the autumn colours that were used.  I can envision this done up in Easter colours, winter blues and even summer bright floral colours.


Lastly for this batch we have an art quilt.  It is very impressive in person.  As you can see it won an award, for creativity.  Some of these blocks measured less than an inch.  This quilt would have been a test of patients to line things up just so.  This quilt is completely a scrap quilt.  One can look at this for a long time and be inspired to try some improv of there own.  I don't imagine this quilt as being a one time affair.  I feel this would have been a work in progress for quite some time as the ideas evolved over time.  With the variety of shapes and added curved tiny borders around the circles, I would have to guess that this was done by a very experiences quilter.


So there you have it for examples of scrappy quilts.  Scrappy is "in", in a big way and I don't think it is just to use up those left over pieces.  I for one enjoy scrappy much more than looking at a quilt that is all the same.  Scrappy keeps your eyes moving across a quilt trying to see everything.  It holds my interest for longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment