Thursday 2 April 2015

Second batch of pictures from the Etobicoke Quilt Show 2015

This is the second batch of pictures from the Etobicoke Quilt Show 2015.

This first one I took for a couple of reasons.  First was that I thought it was beautiful in it's geometric shape both as hexagons, and also that each hexagon is accurately made with stripes.  The effect of the second row of hexagons looks as though it is spread out like a deck of cards, each overlapping the next.   The maker achieved this affect by using a striped fabric and fussy cutting each and every triangle.  The second triangle from the other side of the strip, gives you a different coloured hexagon.  Just beautiful.

The second reason is that I am now addicted to hexagons.  I see them everywhere.  I hold my cousin responsible for that.  Since working on a commissioned quilt for her and her husband called Rose's floret quilt, I haven't been able to get enough of hexagons.

The size of this quilt is for a large table clothe/cover. I am not sure if you noticed, due to my bad picture taking, but the actual shape of the table cover is also a hexagon.  In person the stripes are clearer, as you see the definition of each strip and pattern.  Like I said, beautiful.


This next picture, I took as a pretty example of a setting for sampler blocks.  Each one of these blocks is very intricate and not for the beginner.  I especially like the sashing, which has the effect of a chain going across the quilt.  Lines on a diagonal really keep your eyes moving along.  I thing I might have toned down the chains just a bit, so that the fancy blocks could stand out a little more.  Overall this is a gorgeous quilt.


I took a picture of only a portion of this next quilt, because I was interested in the pieced border.  I felt it was a good way of taking the main block and incorporating it into the border.  They are miniatures of the main block.  These little blocks are also used at a sashing crossing.


This next quilt, again I only took a picture of a small section.  This one was all quilted by hand.  The fabric itself was just bricks in navy blue and black, plus grey squares going across the quilt on a diagonal.  Nothing fancy, but what made this quilt extra ordinary was the tiny hand stitches in a light grey throughout the quilt.  The centre was done with the same flower and the small border was done with a horseshoe type shape with circles and dashes.  

There is something about the little dotted lines that make you want to take you finger and trace each one.  This was done by a seasoned hand quilter.  All the tiny stitches were so perfect.






No comments:

Post a Comment