Sunday 5 April 2015

Preparing the templates for my Daughter's Easy Street quilt

My daughter has been waiting patiently for me to get to quilting her quilt.  She finished it during summer break of last year 2014.  The quilt that I am quilting is her Easy Street Mystery quilt by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.  Thus far I completed all the in-the-ditch quilting and the chain that we consider a sashing.  

The quilt consists of two blocks set on point, but my daughter's version is not on point.  When it is not on point the one part of the block creates a diagonal chain.  We are treating this as a sashing for the quilting designs.  Check out the earlier post which shows the pictures of the quilting so far.

Now what I have left to do is the large blocks left between the sashing and the two borders.  When I have a lot of blocks to quilt or the borders, I like to make myself a template.  I use this blue plastic available in quilt stores.  The first one here is for the large block.  In this case I only cut out a quarter of the block and rotate it a quarter turn around the block to complete all four corners.  This way it is easier to manage instead of a 12.5" square.  

Notice that I also drew the lines of the block on the plastic template for easy placement.  The little white slots are the design.  I will use the pounce block with blue or white chalk to mark the design on the quilt.  This will wash away later.


My daughter has chosen to go with the Fleur-de-Lis for her quilting throughout the quilt.  This next picture is of the last border.  This pattern is from Designs For Continuous Line Quilting by Shirley Thompson.  In the space right in the corner we will quilt her name, the quilt name and the date she made the quilt.  I still have to cut this pattern out.


Lastly we have the small border.  This one measures only 1.5".  It will be tedious to cut out, but because it is small, it will be easy to quilt.


Stay tuned.  The next pictures of my daughter's Easy Street quilt, will be of the completed quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment