Wednesday 22 April 2015

I have finally been bitten

I have finally been bitten, by the GO! That is the Aqququilt Cutter.  From previous posts you can tell that I do spend a lot of time cutting up fabric. Cutting down my scraps trying to keep a handle on the scrap basket.  Well now I have a cutting system to help.  It's called GO!

I can see the advantages of the GO!  I've read about it many times on various Blogs.  Many people use it and have many different dies.  For me, for now, I purchased the two that I would use the most.  They are the 2" strip cutter and the 1 1/2" strip cutter.  These are the two sizes of strips that I use most often when making a quilt.  But, the more I read about it the more I can see owning other dies in the future.


Gone are the days that I spend almost a full day cutting up the pieces of fabric to make a quilt.  This will get it done in a fraction of the time.  The box says 90% faster.  We'll have to see.

Here is a picture of the 2" strip die loaded with scraps to be cut and covered with the protector.


This is what I got out of it.  What I did was layer my scraps all along the die with no more the six overlaps.  It doesn't look like much but I piled the fabrics on top of each other.  Just to check it out, I took the brown floral fabric and placed it back on the die in the opposite direction and ran it through the GO! again.  Out the other end I had fourth-eight 2" squares cut in a matter of seconds, not more than a minute, for sure.  The only waste I had was the small little pile beside the squares.  No more than I would of had, had I cut them all individually.  


This is great.  It could get me into some serious trouble if I don't keep an eye on the amount of fabric I am cutting.  As my daughter said, you can cut all the fabric you want, but you still have to sew it in the end.  

Do you see the black lines on the die cutter?  Those are the lines that you can use to line up your fabric, if you want to make different shapes.  There is a 60 degree line if you want to make diamonds for an eight point star, a 30 degree line, a 90 degree line and a cross line.  The possibilities with just those lines are huge.  Makes the 2" die cutter that much more useful.  I didn't know that when I bought it, but I am very happy they thought to add these lines to the new dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment