Monday 6 April 2015

Mini blocks log cabin quilt

Between all the productivity last week I still took some time to play.  My daughter cringes when I answer to her question, "What have you been up to?", and I answer "Playing".  She knows it means I have been up to trouble and have started yet another quilt.  She considers herself my good angle on my shoulder.  The one that try's to keep you out of trouble.  In my case accumulating too many quilts in progress.  I just can't help myself.  I like the variety.  I seem to have ADD when it comes to quilting.  Thankfully, only in quilting.

I am always trying to find a quilt to make that uses up scraps, in this case very small pieces of scraps. In this case pieces that sometimes measure just under an inch.  Aren't they sweet?  It's a mini log cabin block.  Believe it or not, I plan to make a queen size quilt with these.  Well......480 of these blocks.


Each block will finish at 3".  The individual strips finish at just under a 1/2".  I am making them by paper piece.  This way I can use all my very small scraps, without worrying about the grain of the fabric.  Below is the pattern that I made using my EQ program.  I also used the program to make up the blocks.  Six blocks fit on an 8 1/2" x 11" paper.


The only piece of fabric that did not come out of my scrap bin is the red that I am using for the centre.  The centre will be the only part the will be consistent in the whole quilt.  Otherwise I am doing a scrappy traditional log cabin block with a light side and a dark side.  Here is my little basket of parts.  To give you a reference point, the little red squares are only 1" square.  The pile of paper blocks is stacked 478 high, as I have completed two already.


These little blocks are something that I will do on and off until they are done.  There is no time line on them.  When ever I want to "play", I will do them up.  For now it has taken up residence beside my sewing machine.

PS.  I don't feel guilty starting this one, I mean I did finish one this past week, didn't I?  But please don't tell the good angle.  ☺️😉😛

No comments:

Post a Comment