Saturday 25 October 2014

Reversible Crazy quilt

Throughout the quilt making process there are always scraps that are the result of left over material, mistakes that happen, extra blocks that are made, etc.  I try to keep all of these scraps under control as I go along.  Something similar to the Bonnie Hunter way, but with little differences to make it work for me.

If I have yardage, I refold them and put them back into the stash.  If they are smaller pieces I may put them in with my fat quarter collection or maybe the scrap drawer that as smaller pieces.  Some I cut up into stripes that are organized by size (1 1/2", 2" or miscellaneous stripes) and there is a drawer for the extra blocks and miscellaneous parts.  Lastly there is a basket of smaller bits and pieces that don't quite fit in any of the other categories.

One day, a while back I decided to see what I could do to reduce the amount of scrapes in my scrap basket.  In the end I felt a crazy quilt block would be the best option.  I hadn't made a crazy quilt yet and thought, why not now.


In my version I decided to make small 6 1/2" blocks as a reversible quilt with a pretty fabric for the reverse side of the crazy block.  The way it works is, you made the crazy block. I did mine on a piece of thin facing to stabilize the pieces that are mostly all off grain.  Once I had that done I backed it with the pretty fabric and quilted the block.  Picture shown above.

When I had all the blocks done I laid them out to make sure that I distributed the colours evenly.  I followed the method by Sharon Pederson in her book Reversable Quilts, to assemble the rows.  The picture above shows row number one.  I folded the row to show you a section of both sides.


The other day while taking a break from the intense quilting of the Hexagon quilt, I quickly quilted up the pieces seen in the picture above, using a stippling design.  These pieces are the borders for the Crazy quilt.  As you can see in the first picture, there is one side that has the navy fabric and the second side that has the lighter bright blue fabric. In the second picture you see two borders with the same colours on the reverse of each other.

When I finish assembling all the rows I will attach the borders using the same method.  But for today I will get back to quilting the Hexagon quilt.  I am really liking it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment