Sunday 26 October 2014

Playing with design options for a Dresden Plate quilt

This morning I did some quilting on the hexagon quilt for a few hours.  When the stores opened we had to do some running around with the kids for more pants, sweaters, socks, etc.  By the time I got home from shopping I was beat.  Did I ever tell you that I do not like shopping.  I don't mind when I am out with someone and just browsing.  But when I have to find something specific, I usually can't find it at all, and get frustrated having to go from store to store.  But it is done.

So after the shopping we came home and after lunch I decided to play around with some quilt designs.  I went onto EQ5 and did a few layouts. I coloured some Dresden plate blocks to resemble the ones that I have.  My cousin asked me to assemble a queen size quilt with the Dresden plates that were already assembled.

There are seven plates in six different colours.  My cousin has decided that she would like to use all the colours together.  I think it will look great.  Keep in mind that what you see below is only an outline, as the colours are out quite a bit.  Even after completing this quilt there will still be some leftover plates.

I say plates because that is all they are at this time.  Until I finished the design I couldn't see exactly how I was going to assemble this quilt.  Now that I know how big the blocks are going to be and how big the quilt was going to be I can start making them.  Now I know how much material I will need.  EQ5 also tells you the fabric requirements.


At this time I only need to get the white.  I have decided to do all the background in white, including the sashing and borders (those are the parts that you see in light blue).  The sashing is in light blue in the picture so that I can remember how to assemble the quilt, but in the end they will actually be white with lavender cornerstones.  The cornerstone will look like they are floating between the plates.  

Once the centre is done I will finish it off with a lavender small border to match the cornerstones and a scalloped white large border.  I feel that the scalloped border goes well with he shape of the Dresden plates and is also something that was common in the '30s-'40s along with the lavender.  In comparison to the lavender the Dresden plates will appear more pastel, which I feel will look nice against the white.  This will be more of a springtime quilt for it's soft colours.

When I finished working out this quilt I started on another one that I will be am making for my niece down the road.  I will save the pictures for that one until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment