Tuesday 13 December 2022

Santa's sleigh wall hanging

I am in the process of putting up decorations for Christmas....ok....I get that I am a bit late, but I am doing my best.  This will be the second year in this house for Christmas since we took possession of the place.  Though this is the first year that I am able to actually take some time to open up the Christmas boxes and sort out what we have and what will work for this house. 

Part of preparing for the Christmas decorations includes a Santa wall hanging, that my mom made for me and gifted to me a couple of years ago.  It took me a bit of time to do the quilting on it.  Once I was done quilting, my mom had to do all the fancy stitches with the silver and gold threads, to highlight the reindeers, harnesses and Santa's sleigh.  This weekend I finished up Santa's eyes and added the hanging sleeve, all while watching Christmas movies.  This year it is finally going up on the wall!


Here is a close up of the reindeer and their fancy antlers flying across the sky.  The silver thread sparkles in person and so does the gold harness.


Here is the close up of Santa waving and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a good night, while he passes across the moon with his sack still full of presents.  I love his plaid blanket over his knees, and look at all that fancy gold thread detail on his sleigh!  Even the fabric used for his beard has texture and looks cute.  I heavily quilted the moon and the sky background in order to help Santa and the reindeers pop up.  The whole thing looks great!


My mom/Lorna made one for herself a while back from a pattern and I really wanted to make one too, but for my wall hanging shelf, it was too big, so I took the pattern to Staples and reduced it to 80% to fit the space I wanted to put it.  I put it up on Sunday right after finishing the hanging sleeve.  

Thanks Mom!!

Interesting facts, outside of quilting, about this same time back in Dec/2020:   Aside from being gifted this wall hanging top for Christmas back in Dec/2020.  This is the time when I realized, I can't just cover up my longarm with sheets while I renovate the basement.  I have to get it out of here before I start on the next stage of drywalling and plastering at the old house in preparation for selling.  So, we dismantled the longarm and took it to my mom's place where we set it up again.  This is at the point where now, I have to travel to my mom's place every weekend to quilt for customers, so it starts getting even crazier.  During the Christmas holiday week, I started working on the basement, drywalling, priming and painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment