Wednesday 14 December 2022

My mom's double wedding ring quilt (QW)

For this post, I am going to take you back in time to Sept 12/2020, when I started quilting this quilt.  This is the last of the pictures from 2020, that never got posted during the computer/blogger/apple glitch that I had, followed by all the renovations to get the house up on the market.....well you know the story if you've read my blog for any length of time.

This quilt is on my bucket list, however like many, I am intimidated by all the curves.  This is supposedly one of the more difficult quilts to make and from what I hear, the one that sits in the cupboards of many quilts unfinished, due to the difficulty.

This is my mom's double wedding ring quilt.  It turned out beautiful!  She used light and medium scraps to make the arches some solid yardage to do the cornerstones and only had to buy the white for the background.  In person, it looks a little more pastel coloured.


Here is a close up of the one complete double ring.  I quilted the rings free motion arches from corner to corner, and did a set of four chains for the cornerstone.  The center of the rings was a block motif purchased from Urban Elementz.  


I dropped something on the floor and had to almost crawl under the longarm to get it.  When I looked up, I thought, how cool.  The back of the quilt with the light above it, reminds me of a stained glass effect.  So I took a picture of it.  This is the picture from 2020.  The pictures above were taken recently when I realized I didn't take any after pictures, when the quilt was done.  


To keep this real as well, I started quilting this in September/2020, but after completing the first go through, of all the in-the-ditch work and the arches on the chains, I had to take it off the machine to work on some customer quilts and after that I got into the renos.  Come Dec/2020, I had to move my machine to my mom's place, to finish the renos at the old place, and after we went right into renos on this new place all of 2021 and part of 2022.  This is the longest it has ever taken me to quilt a quilt.

Good thing my mom was not in a rush for this quilt.  It wasn't until summer of 2022 that I was able to put it back on the machine to quilt, as that is usually a slow time of the year for me, as many take off for their cottages during the summer.

I hope you enjoyed this one.  As I said earlier, this is a quilt on my bucket list!  Anyone else have this on their bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment