Sunday 15 March 2015

Working on Midnight Flight

I am sitting in my chair this morning trying to finish the binding that I started last night while watching a movie, when I realized that I didn't post pictures of the progress I have made with the Midnight Flight quilt.

I while back I started this quilt for my niece, to replace the one that was basically disintegrating with all the use.  I am doing this quilt in all the same colour ways as the first one, only this quilt is different.  This one will be larger with smaller pieces and a more mature design for her and her husband.

When I had a chance to start back on piecing this one a few weeks ago, I realized that I hadn't made a draft. So, when I started back up on it, I couldn't remember how big I was making it and how many blocks I needed to make.  At that point I went onto EQ5 and draw up a draft of the pattern.


From there I was able to determine what size the quilt was going to be and how many blocks I was going to make.  First off I sorted all the units I had to confirm that I would have enough to construct the blocks.  I did......and some.  I figure with the extras I will put them on the back.


I started sorting out the units to make the first sub unit.  As you can see close to the middle of the next picture that I did my one two patch test, to check that I had the right seam allowance.


Finally, I was able to start making the first part of the blocks. What you see below is part of the blocks constructed.  This set is in the turquoise blue.  The next set will be in the lime green.  I have to make over eighty of these units for the size of quilt I want to make.


The chevron units you see in the picture above this one will be attached in the next step.  It will take me a while to get these units done, with all the distractions lately.  Since I took these pictures a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been able to get back to them.  They continue to sit on my sewing machine table waiting.....and waiting.  

Also sitting on my table are the five give away quilts, waiting for me to sew on the labels.  This past week I managed to go get photocopies of the tags for these quilts, so now they are ready to finish and bundle up to be delivered.

FYI.   I just got a pop up notice telling me that today is World Wide Quilt Day.  Happy quilting everyone!!!  Let's see what I can do to celebrate this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment