Sunday 11 January 2015

Making some progress on the floret hexagon quilt

I have been working hard to finish the floret hexagon quilt.  This has been the longest quilt to quilt thus far. I am enjoying working with this very old quilt.  But I have to say that it is very intense. I am literally, as the saying goes, quilting it within an inch of it's life.

This quilt was made in the early '40s and when I am done finishing it, I want it to look like it was completed in the '40s too.  As I work to finish off the edging, I admire all the old fabrics that make up this quilt.  What a collection the maker had.  I admire the fabrics, the fabric placement and the precision of the maker.

Yesturday, outside of a few distractions, I worked all day on closing the edge.  I now only have one side left to do.  My intentions today are to finish the edge, and if time allows start quilting the last row of hexagons.

I will leave you with the pictures of the two resent florets I have been working on.  I finished the top one and have all the hexies of the second one ready to be assembled.


The fabrics that I am using to making my hexagons is from the stash of the maker of the above mentioned floret hexagon quilt.  But, as I plan to make my quilt queen size I am having to search deep in my bins to fine true period fabrics to add to what I have been given.  

Over the years I have been collecting fabrics from various sources and when I come across older fabrics I stick it aside for a special project.  Well, I consider this a special project.  I have been so inspired by the floret hexagon quilt and the Diamond Hexagon quilt (still to be quilted), that I have to make one for myself.  


I have been enjoying the process of washing and sorting the bits and pieces of old fabrics and going through my older fabrics to find stuff that would fit the age.  The yellow I am using comes from a stash of old fabrics, however in order to make the design I have come up with, I will be using new solid white and a 15 year old solid purple.

Well I will leave you with that for now.  The post is a bit longer than I intended.  I am off to see about finishing the last side.

No comments:

Post a Comment