Monday 26 January 2015

Fabric selection for my Tiny Town quilt

Last night when my eyes were too tired to do anymore handwork, I sorted through some fabric for the next quilt I am starting.  I don't know if any of you remember during the summer how I did a shop hop.  Past posts will give you all the information, but in short I went to many quilt stores in Ontario.  

As I visited each store I collected a couple of fabrics to go with the theme fabric pictured below.  I collected some orange, red, yellow, green and blue to fabrics to match.


This is what I ended up with.  I did add just a few from my own stash and I added black as well.


The yellows are separate because they are going to be used for the background fabrics.  The main parts of the quilt that I will appliqué the designs onto.


I was looking for just the right pattern to use these fabrics, but I didn't chose this pattern for the fabrics.  As I mentioned yesturday, I had completely forgotten that I signed up for this appliqué class with Sew Sisters.  I only thought of the fabrics later and wondered if they would work.  I think they will.

In my mind I was playing the coincidence game.  Like, isn't it a coincident that this pattern is called Tiny Town and most of the fabrics were found in little quilt stores in small towns.  I expanded on that thought and said to myself that there are also vehicles in the quilt to represent the road trip that we took to all these places.  But if that was not enough to convince me that these fabrics were perfect for this quilt, I happen to look down at the pile of fabrics.  On the top is this one below.  The first thing my eye caught onto was the address printed on the fabric 5480 Main Street.  Is this not a quilt about homes, and homes have addresses.  


That was all I needed to be sold on the idea of these fabrics.  Besides the fact that I like these fabrics, three coincidences says something to reinforce the idea.  It may sound silly, but I am a girl who believes that coincidences.  Things happen for a reason.  So I am going with it.  It will also save some money by using what I already have instead of buying all new.  The great part about going scrappy, is that if I do run out of something I can just add something else in there with the same colour scheme and it will work.  It's a win win situation.  

Now that the fabrics are selected I have to wait for the kit with the first step to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment