Monday 12 January 2015

Finished a corner of my hexagon quilt and my first rejected floret

Yesturday I was working away at the floret hexagon quilt.  I was able to shape the backing, trim back the batting and snip the inside corners, all the way across the last side of the quilt.  I pretty much took the whole day, outside of a few distractions like making lunch, dinner and driving my daughter to work.  I was even able to flip the backing inward and pin all of the last side.  

This was less than I thought I could get done, but with quilting that is always the way.  Things take longer than you estimate.  Now when I have some time to sit and sew I can finish the edge.

Today at work during lunch, I only had a chance to make the one white and six hexagon patties to complete another corner of my Hexagon quilt.  The turquoise/green floret was done and waiting for the additional pieces to complete the corner.  I also assembled the red gingham floret.  The patties were already done a few days ago.


This next "beginning" of a hexagon has been rejected and put aside.  Throughout the process of making a quilt, we cut up fabric and make blocks. From time to time with scrappy quilts you have to make choices to keep a block or reject it.  In this case I rejected the making of a floret with these pieces, because the background of the fabric has too much white.  When placed up against the white of the next row of hexagons that will surround them, they will be so washed out that it will look like there is a hold in the design theme.


I will keep these hexagons and use them either on the inside of the diamonds or the border somewhere.  They will not go to waste, they just will not do for the florets.

I have now completed ten of the fifty florets that need to be done.  I have them all lined up on the top of my design wall in a row across the top.  They will not stay in the same order, as I find so far, that I have too many pink or red colours.  As the white does not go around the full floret until the
next row is attached, I have decided to wait until they are all done before considering what order they will go into, and I can add the white and purple hexagons on to build and complete the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment