Sunday 4 January 2015

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have been doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that.  I ended my last day of vacations going to Sew Sisters on Friday afternoon.  While there, I found the perfect combination of borders for the Pleated Log Cabin I am finishing for my Cousin's husband.  It started with blocks he believes belonged to his grandmother.  They are beautiful blocks made of old fabrics.  When they are this old it makes it difficult to find fabrics that will compliment the quilt top.  Three quilt stores later and we have a winner.

I won't show you pictures just yet as my cousin does read my post and I want it to be a surprise for them.  There is such an emotional aspect of completing quilts that were made by loved ones.  I feel it is only fair that they be the first ones to see it.

Yesturday, before I started working on the borders, I had to have a clean slate.  Am I the only one that does this?  I had to clear everything away.  While washing up all the fabric for the borders and my own, I was finishing off the laundry room cupboards that my husband helped to assemble and paint. I put away the Midnight Flight parts, thinking that after the borders get put on I will head right into layering the quilt and quilting it.

I ironed all the fabric as it came out of the machine and all the household ironing pile as well.  I started cutting all the borders.  Later in the day I made a trip to a friend's home quilt store to pick up the backing and batting and laid them out on the guest bed to stretch out.

First border is on and the second pleated border is also on.  Today I am looking to finish the last border and layer the quilt. Let's see if I can actually get started in quilting it today too.

No comments:

Post a Comment