Sunday 27 March 2016

Pictures of my completed Log Cabin quilt

I finally had a chance to bring my large log cabin quilt to the laundry mat to wash it.  It's a large queen sized quilt, almost king sized.   I laid the blocks out in a barn raising setting.  I really like how this quilt turned out.  

This one is for me.  I don't have many of my own.  The log cabin quilt has got to be one of my favourites.  I like them in any layout.  I just love the variety of fabrics used in each block.  I enjoyed making this so much that I already started making another one, but this new one is only 3 1/2" blocks and each log is less than 1/2".


Not sure if anyone recalls that this is the quilt, that the top was finished a while ago, but I never got around to quilting it.  When I decided to actually quilt it, I came to the realization that I didn't like the borders on the quilt.  One simple thing was holding me back from finishing the quilt.  So, I removed the borders and replaced them with something that I like better.

Here is a close up of the centre squares showing the quilting.  The dark logs are quilted with 1/4" echo along the inner edge of each log.  The light side has a flower and leaf vine that continues along the light band.  Up close you can also see all the different varieties of fabric used.


This next picture is of the backing.  It shows a bit better the quilting designs.  The flower design is a stencil.  The flowers are imperfect, as they are freehand/free motion quilting.  I like the imperfections. I also like the simplicity if the vine design.  This was an easy one to do and I would use it again.


Here is the border quilting.  This was a stencil that resembles waves.  This too was an easy design to quilt and easy to merge together, no matter how big the border measures.


Today we are heading to my Mom's for Easter dinner.  I am going to give my niece and her family the Midnight flight quilt, so stay tuned for tomorrow's post for that quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment