Wednesday 2 March 2016

Drunkard's path quilt, also known as Old Maid's Puzzle

Aha!!!  It felt good having some time in my quilt room this evening.

I had the homemade spaghetti sauce cooking in the slow cooker all day, finished work and headed for my quilting room.  I started trimming my daughter's fabric for her Remember Me quilt.  She does not like the cutting part.  I don't blame her, the rotary cutter is pretty scary when you think about what it can do.  Even adults who are careful have had incidents with them.

As I was in the mood to continue trimming, I decided to take out the material for my Drunkard's path quilt, also known as Old Maid's Puzzle.

 

Here is a picture of one completed block.  I have two of them done so far.  I need a total of 35 full blocks to make the quilt top.  The layout is 5 X 7 blocks.  Each full block requires 16 small blocks, 8 of them with the white arches and 8 of them with the coloured arches.  That makes a total of 560 small blocks.  So far I have 103 small blocks done.

This quilt is going to be a spring quilt.  With soft but cheerful colours.  Mostly blues with pink, purple, yellow and some soft greens.  No brown, black or burgundy.  


Here is what I managed to cut this evening.  To make one set I have to make a total of three cuts from a 4" block. I cut a white and a coloured fabric, which gives me one small block with the white arch and one small block with the coloured arch.


I also cut all the fabric needed to complete the rest of the blocks.  They are paired up in sets of four.  I cannot cut more the four layers of fabric at one time, otherwise the shape would start to get distorted.    This is what is left to trim.

I think during the summer last year, I was using these blocks as my leader/ender, but had to stop because I had no more pieces trimmed.  I am getting ready to get back to this one, but the sixteen patch pinwheel quilt is going along very well as my leader/ender.  Once that one is done I will put this one in it's place.

It is just after 10:00 pm and I am now ready for bed.....5:30 am will come around really fast.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment