Saturday 21 November 2015

Examples of hexagon quilts

The other day I was on google and out of curiosity typed in hexagon quilts.  The images that came up were amazing.  I am saving the images in this post for my future inspiration.  I was amazed as to the variety of patterns and styles that were out there.  Some of the images are traditional, but others look to be a persons own creation.  All of them are gorgeous.


This first layout above, I've seen numerous times, but I especially liked this person's choice in colours.  The different shades of bright colours is very affective in drawing the eye in, and the use of white and grey help to define the shapes.  Very nice modern twist on a traditional layout.


This next image above is by Linda White of Gum Valley Patch.  This I am thinking is an original design.  What you see above is the centre if a quilt.  I cannot tell how big/small these individual hexagons are but I am guessing they are very small, in order to achieve the detail in the pattern in the amount of space that is used.  Below we have the progress the Linda made on his quilt.  

WOW!!!  What can I say?  This is really stunning!  From her centre she branched out into star points with a lot of detail in each.  She continued with the hexagon shape by filing in between the star points with more hexagon design patterns.  The balance in colour and texture is amazing.  I feel there is more to this quilt, but in the images produced by Google I didn't see anything more on this one.  It could be still a work in progress.  Sometime later I want to go explore Gum Valley Patchwork to see what I can find.


In this next image I don't have the benefit of knowing who made this, but with the balance and colouring, I am thinking it may be something done by Linda from above.  Sorry that I cannot give the maker credit for this one, because I just do not know where the image comes from.  But this maker also did an excellent job with colour and balance throughout this piece.  It, like the centre above, starts out with the hexagon shape to create the quilt, but has a completely different look and the colours are a bit more settle creating a softer feel.  If I am guessing correctly the reds on the corners of each hexagon is the starting of a star that will be extended into another border.  This is a great job and one day I would love to find the image of the rest of this quilt.


We move on to another image of a floret quilt.  This one starts with a medallion type star in the centre.  Based on the size of the quilt I am guessing the hexagons on this one are larger than all the quilts above.  Not too big mind you.  It's hard to tell exactly, but I am thinking that this is still in the thinking stages.  It is hard to tell from the image, but I feel he star is the only part that is complete and the maker is still trying to workout the layout.  The florets seem to be done too, but the cream coloured hexagons do not appear to be attached.  I think this will look lovely when it is done.


This next one is a design by Grit's Life.  I feel this one is also an original design.  This person is designing the quilt mainly with florets.  They started it with a round type theme and are working outward adding different shapes, surrounded by florets again.  Very nice effect and a nice use of the dark navy colour to define the spaces.  I am wondering how this person plans to square off the quilt.  These hexagons are also small. If you consider that most ceramic floor tiles are 13" X 13", that would make these hexagons approximately 1" across.  That would make for a lot of hexagons to make up a queen/king size quilt.  Gorgeous work.


This has turned out to be a very long post and that is not all the hexagon images that I have.  They will have to be on another post.  I am hoping this post will actually post and not cut out part of it.  Stay tuned for another day to continue with all the hexagon quilt inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment