Saturday 14 November 2015

A green Dresden plate done and sneaking in a little something else

On Thursday night after my late night at work, I needed some down time.  So, I sat peacefully in my guest room/den to do some handwork.  This is where I do most of my handwork.  I have a wingback chair in a corner beside the sliding doors that looks out into one section of the back gardens.  I have a half side table on one side which holds my work and a very old wooden chest on the other side that holds a hot cup of tea and any supplies I need for the task at hand.  It works for me.

Thursday I didn't see much out the sliding doors, now that it gets darker much sooner, but this morning the sun is streaming in.  Not enough to interfere with what I am doing, but just enough to brighten up my spirits.

While relaxing on Thursday, I managed to finish another Dresden plate block.  As you can see, this one is green.  I believe this is the first green block I've done thus far.  The picture has somewhat of a shadow on the right hand side, due to it being late at night and the angle of my lighting.


Last night, Friday, when I got home and took care of everything, fed the kids, cleaned up, etc.  I took out my florets.  I did some work on them.  Not quite done one yet, but getting there.  Later after taking some time to get my steps in, I just didn't feel like heading to bed.  It was 10:00 pm at night and I still had some energy that I had to use up, otherwise I wouldn't fall asleep.

I walked around in my quilt room looking at things.  One thought pattern lead to another, which lead to me taking out my miscellaneous shaped scrape basket.  I love playing with scraps, as most of you probably know by now.  Just petting the fabric gets my juices flowing.


Once my juices started flowing, they led to this.  I took out the miniature log cabin blocks.  When ever I have a very small scrap that one would think is too small to do anything with, I put it aside for this quilt.  This block uses up material that is as small as 1" square to as big as 1" X 3 1/2".


When the pieces get to this small, I don't trim them to size.  I just use the pieces as they are and do paper piecing.  This is one of those quilts that will take me a long time to do, because I do not work on it continually.  I will do a few blocks here and a few blocks there, but eventually I will have enough for a full queen size quilt.


In this block I was able to use some small pieces my friend Carol and Sharon gave me at our last Quilt Bee meeting.  I think there are only five pieces in this block that are my own.  The rest come from them.  Carol says she has more than she can use in her lifetime and Sharon refuses to use these very tiny pieces.  All the better for me.  I am in my glory when I am working with these pieces.  Thank you girls.  I am sure your ears were ringing as my thoughts were on both of you last night.

By the time I finished this block it was 11:00 pm, and I was now ready for bed.  But....I didn't put my scrapes away yet, because I am thinking I would like to work with them some more.  I will be in my quilt room if anyone is looking for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment