Wednesday 30 November 2022

My cutting table on wheels

I know that many people have all sorts of different cutting table setups.  I have a few myself.  I also know that people like seeing how others have their setups to get ideas and options.  So, I thought I would share with you my cutting table on wheels.  This table doubles as a stand up sewing table as well, and I use that when I need to do an emergency, add on to the backing, when the quilt is still loaded on the longarm.

As you can see, I was trimming some half square triangles (HST).  This is the top surface.  The cutting table is about 1/2 the size of the large cutting mat.  It's big enough to hold my Janome 6500 professional with the extended table.  For reference, those HSTs are 4 1/2".  It is a good size for trimming work.  When cutting and trimming, I prefer to do it standing.


This is what I have my table on.  You can find this rolling tray at IKEA.  I used to use it beside my sewing chair to hold all sorts of stuff, but I got something else for that.  Now I use it for this.  The wood that makes up the table is longer than the rolling tray, to fit everything.  So I use the right hand side to do my work and hold the sewing machine.  The reason the table is not centred is because the sewing machine is very heavy whereas the extended table has almost no weight at all.  This way the table is much more stable.  I centre the machine over the tray section.  My sewing machine cords and accessories are in the tiers below the table.


To secure the wood to the rolling tray I am using L brackets that I flattened a bit to extend past the rounded lip of the tray.  I have two on each long side and one on each short side.  No holes in the rolling tray, so if I decide to change my setup, I can easily remove the wood and not have damaged the rolling tray. 


This works well for me.  I know that many people are investing a lot of money into stand up tables to do more standing up instead of always sitting, so this could be an option if that is what you are looking for.  It is less expenses, so you can try it out for a while to see if you like it, before investing a lot of money on the tables on the market at the moment.

You could even use something like this for an ironing board.  Keep an open mind and come up with other uses for it, or other variations of this that would work better for you.  Take the seed and let it grow.

Have a great night!!  Take care and don't forget to take some time for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment