Monday 21 November 2022

Joy's Germany fabric quilt (QW)

I am back from an enjoyable time away with friends at a private quilting retreat.  I feel so relaxed and energized.  I got the centre of a top done. Just need borders on that one and I also got 20 blocks of another quilt done for another quilt I am making.  Very much enjoyed the company, beautiful serene scenery, and food that we all chipped in to make.

Last Wednesday I had a day off from my full time job and worked on my son's bedroom.  I managed to finish sanding the fine coat of plaster, priming two coats, a trip to Home Depot for the paint he chose for his room, filled the nail holes, painting two coats of the main colour and one coat of the accent wall colour.  After that was done, I showered and headed to pickup my mom for a movie night out with my sister in Milton.  That was quite nice.  When I got home at around 9:30 pm, I figured I had just enough time to finish the second coat of the accent wall before walking the dog and finally heading to bed.  That felt great!!  I really feel good when I have such a productive day!

So today, when I got home from the retreat, at just after 2:00 pm, I took advantage of the remaining afternoon to try and finish my son's room.  I sanded all the wood filler, sweep up and started painting all the baseboards, casings and his wall cubby hole.  I am writing this post while I am waiting for my timer to go off telling me it is ready for the second coat of paint on the baseboards and trims, before I walk the dog and head to bed.  I am trying my best to get everything around here done, but realistically his room will likely be the last thing I do, until winter is over and we are able to open the windows and let some fresh air in, as the next thing I need to do, needs ventilation. 

So, until I can get some current pictures taken, I'll take you back in time to July 4/2020:

This is Joy's quilt.  This would be a great option for those large scale prints, so that you can show a good portion of it in larger blocks.  I am saving this quilt idea for a quilt I want to make, so you will see a tape measure in some of the pictures for my own reference, for when I am ready to make one.


Joy did a lovely job of piecing this quilt.  It's a lap size, but can be converted to any size by either adding or subtracting blocks.  I like the subtle colourway she chose for this quilt.


I took measurements of the block to replicate this quilt.  Other information you may need to know if you are looking to make one as well, is that the border surrounding the block, the background fabric, is 1" finished, and the second border surrounding that is also 1" finished.  This one would be an accent fabric, one that would highlight the colours in the block.  What I mentioned in this paragraph is the instructions for the block.  You would make as many blocks as you need and sash them in the same background fabric (in this case she used cream).


Just another picture showing a different angle.


I'd love to see your quilt if you intend to make one.  I think this one would be great in any colourway.

Interesting facts:  At this same time back in July/2020, in renos, we are clearing out the crawlspace at the old house.  Gutting out the bathroom on the office level and still bringing packed boxes to my mom's. 

Enjoy your evening everyone!  Got to go....my alarm just went off, telling me I need to do that last coat of paint.  Take care, and take some time for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment