Tuesday 8 November 2022

Plus sign quilt

Today I thought I would share with you this quilt that I started to make in Apr/2020.  This is my plus sign quilt.  At the time there was a large wave going through the internet with what seemed like everyone making plus quilts...lol.  Many different designs and patterns.  It was actually nice seeing them all, in all the different variations.  Some were connected plus signs with no background fabric, some were connected side by side, and others were in columns with sashings.

This is my version.  I wanted the plus signs to be close but not touching.  I wanted it to look like you have to stop and think about where the rows start and stop and I wanted it to look a bit random.  I definitely wanted mine to be scrappy and mostly light to medium coloured fabrics, with just the odd darker one here and there.  The background on this is completely scrappy too.


I finished this quilt in mid May/2020.  That is fast for me!  I love how it turned out.  This is one of the few quilts that I've made that does not have a border.  It makes it look a bit more modern.  My daughter really love this one too!!  I'm going to have to keep an eye on it, or it just may walk away on me.....lol.


I quilted the quilt with an edge to edge pantograph called Filigree by Urban Elementz.  For the backing, below, I pieced a vertical row using some strips of fabric that I had left over from another quilt I made. This picture is of the backing hanging from my longarm poles, just before I loaded it to quilt.


Here is a close up of the quilt while I was making it.  Here you get to see how the top was assembled.  There are no sashings between the rows horizontally and as I wanted to alternate the plus signs, I added a sashing between the plus signs vertically.  When I look at this picture, I can see the rows going up on a diagonal.  I can't say that I noticed that before.  The layout stops the plus signs from looking like they are all lined up.  


I really enjoyed making this quilt.  The trickiest part of it was figuring out how many plus signs I needed for the size of quilt I wanted.  Even though the blocks are essentially square, the measurements are different for the height and width of the rows, because the height of the rows is the height of the blocks and the width of the rows you have to add the sashing measurement.  But other than that, it was very easy to construct.  I made many of these as leader/enders, between other things.

Enjoy your night and take some time for you!!

2 comments: