Sunday 6 November 2022

Mom's rug hooking frame

Yesturday I got a couple of quilts for Quilts for Survivors quilted, I will try and trim them today and add the binding by machine for my mom to stitch down by hand.  Pictures to follow.  I did this, after I plastered the walls in my son's room.  I'm still doing some minor renos, but my son's room needed some repair.  When the baseboards were taken out to install the hardwood floors, some of the paint peeled off the walls in chunks, so I had to chip away at the remaining loose stuff and start re-plastering.

Today is going to see another coat of plaster in my son's room, and I am going to see if I can get another couple of quilts quilted for Quilts for Survivors.

In the meantime, let me take you back to Mar 7/2020:

My mom has been talking for a while about starting another rug hooking mat.  My mom hadn't done a rug hooking since she was living back home.....which is probably over sixty years ago....  She kept putting it off with excuses of moving away from home for work, getting married and starting a family, raising a family, back to work, and so forth and so forth....  Every time she thought of it, she would think of maybe setting up a frame of some sort to help.  She went so far as to making a small frame at the last house that I helped her hang from the ceiling.  One that you can pull up when not using and drop down to use.  

But that is where it sat.  When we moved mom from Toronto to Acton, we dismantled the hanging frame and never did reinstall it here at her current home.  At this time (back in Jan/2020), my mom was showing interest again in trying to set up a frame to finally start that rug hooking.  So, I took notes of what she thought she needed to make it work and came up with a frame for her rug hooking.


This one is on a stand, and this picture, is in the largest set up depth wise.  There are holes in the wood on either end that she can roll up the burlap as she goes to keep the working sections close at hand.  We placed it in the large area in her hallway at the top of the stairs, just outside the kitchen.  But when we had our first family gathering, she collapsed it to put it away, as it takes up a lot of room.

I made the frame back in Feb/2020, and by Mar/2020, my mom had a design she wanted to do for the mat.  So, I took the design to Staples and enlarged it, to the size she wanted, and proceeded to get the light out and trace the pattern to the burlap, light box style.

This design means a lot to my mom, as this was her upbringing.  Her father was a fisherman and every summer they would move stuff to the island while he fished, cooked and canned seafood.  I really like the design too.  I used black marker to trace the design to the burlap.  Note, if you plan to do it this way, make sure you have a few markers, as the burlap just soaks it up!!  


 As of today, the rug hooking frame has been moved downstairs to a large area in the rec room/living room down there and she has started the first row that lines up the burlap weave to keep things straight.  For the last year and a half, mom has been busy helping me renovate, move and later renovate the new place, which left her with little time.  Maybe this winter, she will decide to finally sit down and work on her vision in her head for this pattern....

Hope everyone enjoys this pretty Sunday morning.  Here we had the time change, where we put the clocks back an hour....I didn't get my extra hour of sleep.....instead I stayed up late watching a couple of movies....lol.  After watching two, I actually lost more than the one hour....lol.  But, I enjoyed it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment