Friday 5 April 2019

My 2019 AP&Q UFO challenge quilt for April

My 2019 AP&Q UFO challenge quilt for April.  This quilt will be a gift to someone special, but I cannot say who, just in case she sees it.  The pattern is from Kim Diehl's book Simple Blessings called Romance and Roses.  This has been on my list since Nov/2014.  It's been a long time I know.  

I was all excited to get started, took the pattern and resized it in EQ, so I'd know how many blocks of each to make.  I didn't fill in the border, as I was wanting to redesign the appliqué parts.  Plus, depending on if I had enough background fabric, I may also have to redesign the square border parts.



I even went as far as cutting the fabric for all the centre blocks.  They're all nicely stacked in the container, just waiting for me to get inspired to work on it.  This quilt was on my AP&Q UFO challenge list last year too, and it didn't even get touched.


The problem was....well there were a few problems.  First, I didn't have much experience with appliqué vines.  I really didn't know where to start.  I still don't, not really.  I have some ideas, but can I execute them, is the question.

The second issue with the appliqué part is colour.  The centre blocks are black and red with the same taupe background.  The problems comes when I try to design a feminine floral vine, because I feel I have to use green for the leaves and the vine.  I'm not sure how green is going to work when it will only be around the border.

The third issue I have, are my own thoughts, that the person this quilt is being gifted to, won't like it. This is the biggest roadblock for me.  Taupe is not my colour choice, but it is a favourite for the recipient.  To go through all the work involved in making a quilt, only to find out they don't like it, is heart wrenching.

But all that said, I've decided to put it back on my list this year and really make an effort to get it done.  I am using all the recipient's favourite colours and the design is nice, so there is a good chance it will be appreciated.  As for the first two items.....well....I have decided to put them aside and concentrate on getting the centre done.  As things progress, things may come to me for the appliqué, but if not, I can always resort to doing the appliqué from the original design in the book.  For now I just won't worry about it until I get there.

So, when April came along and they called #5, I just thought.......ok, let's do this!  I've only completed three additional blocks, from what I started with, but I was also cleaning a lot of loose ends with other things, until now.  Now, other than having to do the quilting on 13 quilts before long and finish up a label, I should have no distractions.  We'll see how that works out.


Today at lunch time I cleared off the rest of my design wall and put up the blocks I have so far.  It's looking ok.  In total there are 72 red blocks and 71 black blocks to complete the centre.  At this point I have 5 1/2 red blocks and 7 black blocks done, leaving me with 66 1/2 red blocks and 64 black left to do.  

Wish me luck!  I have three weeks to do this.  That is approx. 33 blocks of each colour per week.  Sounds like a lot to me, but who's counting....lol.  Just do it!  I keep hearing Dori from Nemo....just keep swimming, just keep swimming......lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment