Saturday 13 April 2019

Finished quilting Brown Bear paws quilt

This is a quilt I started in March/2017.  I wasn't working on it steady, but doing it leader/ender style for the half square triangles.  When I put it on the American Patchwork & Quilting UFO list for last year 2018, I figured when it was called I would concentrate on finishing it.

The quilt number was called for March/2018, and so I took it out and worked on it.  I was really into those scrappy strip blocks, in various shades of brown, from chocolate to taupe and some heading toward the rust colour, others heading toward the burnt red and some toward mustard.  I wanted as much variety as I could get, but that still read as a brown block.  I think I succeeded.  I love the whole think and everything about the quilt.

I managed to get the quilt top completed in the month of March, but it wasn't until later in June/2018 that I finished quilting the quilt.  Here is a picture of the quilt hanging from my longarm rails.  I just took it off and lay it there.


It helps to see the actual quilting on a slight diagonal, when the light is not directly on the quilt.  This next picture is a closeup of the sashings, both the orange one and the blue one, the first orange small border and part of the final border.

                                

This one here, is what I did with the outer corner of the borders.  I wanted something a bit different than the usual plain border, so I took the bear paw blocks out into the border.


Lastly, here is the whole quilt.  It's a big one!  Fits a queen size bed very generously.  Though this is our movie night couch quilt for all three of us movie watchers to sit comfortably without fighting for coverage.

I like this quilt a lot.  I like the play of the brown with the subtle burnt orange sashings and first border.  I like the blue sashings with the colour brown and the touch of red, as the cornerstone for the blocks, as well as in the square-in-a-square blocks, in the sashing of the quilt.


I would have to say, that this is definitely one of my favourite quilts.  There is no pattern, as I sort of designed it as I when.  The bear paw block itself is a traditional block, and I just gave it a bit of a twist by making it with scrappy strings in the blocks.

Hope you like it, as much as I do!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment