Sunday 31 December 2017

Starting off my 2018 early

The hype is already in motion on Facebook to finish up those UFOs (UnFinished Objects).  I have decided to join the American Patchwork & Quilting's UFO Challenge this year.

Basically, you pick twelve of your UFOs and number them from 1 to 12.  Each month they will pull a number.  Whatever number they pick, you are to work on the corresponding UFO, that month.

Below is my full list.  There are really only 27 UFOs to do, but I have decided to add back onto the list all the quilts that I still have to bind, before I can gift them, and those that I want to go back and make a label for.


As you may have noticed from the list, I have a lot of labels to make and all the recently finished quilts to bind.  I've numbered everything, because on top of the American Patchwork & Quilting's UFO Challenge, I will also select my own number.  My number will be selected when I finish the quilt for that particular month, and I can get other things done too.  Basically, whenever I don't know what to do with myself or don't know where to start, I will select a number and just start there, until my mojo kicks in and takes over again.  

So.........I've cleared off my design wall, cleaned up my quilting studio, and I am ready to go.  Like many on the Facebook group, I've also decided to start early.  According to the American Patchwork & Quilting's UFO Challenge Facebook group the number for January has already been picked.  It could have been just for an example, however everyone is going with it.  January's number is 12.

According to my list (above and below), that means I will be working on my paper piece Xmas pineapple blossom quilt ***AP&Q UFO#12-JANUARY***



I started yesturday, in the afternoon, taking out all the blocks and Christmas fabric scraps for this quilt.  I already had 14 blocks completed and throughout the afternoon, I made an additional 6 more.  In total there are 80 blocks to do, which means I am now 25% of the way done on the blocks.

I am sure many of you have realized by now, that I work in numbers.  They motivate me.  The way I look at it, is like this.....I have 20 blocks/25% complete (glass half full), I only have 60 blocks/75% left to do, and that works out to only 2 blocks per day to have them all done by the end of the month.  Two blocks is very manageable.  So now I start out with a positive attitude and feel motivated and have a sense that I can succeed and accomplish this.  LOL...just try and stop me!!!

Believe it or not, it works!  You know the mind over matter business..... Try it and see.  You can and will succeed.

Here's to another great year!! Cheers!



**My 2018 UFO list - Starting the year with 27 UFOs, goal is to reduce this to 15**

1. Quilting-Reconstructed Dresden plate quilt (my own)
2. Quilting-Stashbuster's ugly/sunshine BOM quilt (no destination, yet)
3. Quilting-Tiny town quilt (my own)
4. Main work-Drunkard's path quilt (my own) ***AP&Q UFO#2***
5. Main work-Red hearts quilt from Sharon (charity)
6. Main work-Brown bear paws quilt (my own) ***AP&Q UFO
#3***
7. Main work-Tumalo squares quilt (my own) ***AP&Q UFO#4***
8. Main work-Farmer's wife sampler quilt (no destination, yet) ***AP&Q UFO#5***
9. Main work-Texas braid quilt (no destination, yet) ***AP&Q UFO#6***
10. Main work-Xmas/Solstice star quilt (my own) ***AP&Q UFO#7***
11. Main work-Mel's romance & roses quilt (family) **AP&Q UFO*#8***
12. Main work-Scrappy Carolina chain quilt (charity)
13. Main work-Reconstructed bright 6-point stars quilt (my own)
14. Main work-Reconstructed 1st & 2nd bow tie quilt (my own)
15. Main work-30s fabric Omigosh quilt (no destination, yet)
16. Main work-Monkey wrench quilt (my own)
17. Main work-Silk triangles quilt from Carol (no destination, yet)
18. Main work-Witch/pumpkin wall hanging (my own)
19. Handwork-To grandmother's house we go (my own) ***AP&Q UFO#9***
20. Handwork-Green & red appliqué quilt (my own)
21. Handwork-Hexagon quilt (my own)
22. Handwork-Line Gallery cross-stitch (my own)
23. Paper piece-Xmas pineapple blossom quilt (my own) ***AP&Q UFO
#12-JANUARY***
24. Paper piece-Scrappy flying geese quilt (charity) ***AP&Q UFO#1***
25. Paper piece-Pineapple quilt (no destination, yet) ***AP&Q UFO#10***
26. Paper piece-Wild & goosey quilt (no destination, yet) ***AP&Q UFO#11***
27. Paper piece-Mini blocks log cabin (my own).  

No comments:

Post a Comment