Sunday 10 December 2017

Xmas pineapple blossom

On my list of Top 12 Priority, I have a quilt that hasn't been started until recently.  It is my Xmas Pineapple Blossom quilt.

Back in July, I did make an attempt to start the blocks, but I was stuck on the corner pieces.  The first choice I made was a dark grey with stars all over, but you couldn't really see the diagonal line affect.  The second choice was the opposite, when I chose white on white with Christmas theme fabric, but that one was too stark.

I wanted the quilt to have some warmth to it.  That is when I set out to find a soft yellow or gold.  I didn't want beige and I didn't want too dark of a gold, so I ended up with this.

  
This yellow seems to work very well.  Do you like the little blinking owl in the small strip?  That was a part of a name tag fabric that someone had given me.  This quilt will have a large selection of fabrics in it.  It is an assortment of fabrics that I collected over the years, and a good portion of fabric scraps given to me by friends, who no longer wanted their bits and pieces of scrap Christmas fabrics.  I will have a lot of old mixed in with the new.  It will be so great!


So far I managed to make two full sections, which consist of four blocks and sashing.  The sashing fabric I am using is left overs from making a Christmas tree skirt, oh.....about ten years ago, if not longer.....lol.  I actually think it was from closer to fifteen years ago, prior to when I started quilting.  

I am not sure why, but some of the fabric was cut down to 2" strips, but never used.  So, when I was looking around for something to use as the sashing, I came across this pile and thought, why not.  It is not a solid or fabric that reads as a solid, which would be my usual choice, but I think I am going to like it.  It is still dark enough to hold it's own, and the consistency will help it stand out, in a not so in your face sort of way, if you get what I mean.

We are getting really close to Christmas.  As I only have this much done so far, I can pretty much be assured that this quilt is not getting done in time to be used this holiday season.  I am fine with that.  I'm just glad that I finally made some progress on it.  It has been set aside for now, but not put away, so maybe during my holidays, I may get a chance to work on it.  We will see......

Today, I am off to the Online longarm group meeting in Oshawa, at Whirls N Swirls.  They are a group of inspirational quilters.  All are willing to share ideas and motivate each other.  We are doing a 'tis the season celebration at the get together and will be sharing food and pictures of our quilting studios.  We will be playing a game of guess who's quilting studio this is.  It should to be fun.  I will share mine in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment