Sunday 7 February 2016

Top completed of the Midnight flight runway

As you may recall from a previous post, I've had this quilt top done for quite some time.  I just didn't have the time to take a decent picture of it.  I woke up this morning feeling almost 100%.  So, I decided, I wanted to get this quilt laid out and basted.  The lighting is not the greatest in the basement, but good enough to take a half decent picture.

Finally, here is the big reveal.  I haven't shown any pictures of this quilt yet.  I wanted it to be a surprise.  After completing Bonnie Hunter's Midnight Flight quilt I had a lot of extra pieces, because I decided that I did not want to do the original border.  

I looked at all the extra pieces and came up with this layout.  I like it.  It also uses up almost all of the pieces I had extra.  There are only two small stacks left. One of the green squares and the other of the light blue squares. 


I added a white border to lighten the top up a bit and separate the centre from the second border.  I used up some more green and blue squares by making this second border.  Lastly I finished it off with a dark blue fabric that belonged to one of the quilt bee members (Flo), who passed away.  The backing is another donation from Flo's stash.  It is a butterfly pattern, on a batik looking designed background, in the exact same green and light blue as are on the top.  The fabric seems to have been made for this quilt.


Here is a closer picture of the quilt.  Just so you can understand the size of this quilt, the little four patches measure 2" square finished.  There are a lot of pieces to this quilt.  I think the batting was meant for this quilt too.  As you can see there is very little margin for error with this one.

I have the quilt pinned and ready to quilt.  After writing this post my time should be finished with doggie duty, that maybe I can get started with the actual quilting.  We shall see.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment