Saturday 13 February 2016

My son's rag quilt

My son made a quilt a while back.  I am ashamed to say over three years ago and all it needed was for me to trim the seams and wash it.  My only defense is that it got packed away when we moved three years ago.  After that it got put away in a drawer until a time when I could take care of it.  

Well.....out of sight out of mind.....it wasn't until recently that I came across it and decided that my son had waited long enough for his quilt.  My son, Dylan, did a great job on this, his first sewing experience.  He started it some time when he was seven, and worked on it, on and off for a couple of years.  I didn't push him, it was something that he did when he felt like it.  He did most of the quilt within a year, but left one large seam not sewn.  I encouraged him to finish the last row.  Tried to get him excited about being done with little effort, only one seam, but he wasn't ready to see it done.

One day, he just decided it was time to get it done.  Took him all of five minutes, if that, as the row was already pinned ready to be sewn.


The picture above is the back side of the quilt.  This quilt is a reversable quilt.  The front of the quilt is the picture below, and the reason for the name, rag quilt.  These types of quilts were more popular about five or six years ago.  They are great for kids to learn how to sew.  Because of the texture the kids think they are cool and there is a large margin for error with the seams.

I marked a seam of 1" to make it easier for him to sew.  Later once it was together I trimmed the 1" seam down to 1/2" seams and shredded the edges.


This next picture is of a close up of the shredded edges.  This affect is achieved by cutting little slits in the seam allowance about every 1/2" apart, you wash, dry the quilt and voilĂ , you have your shaggy edges.

My son chose all the fabrics for his quilt.  He picked stuff that interested him.  As you can see by the close up, he has diverse interests, from penguins, horses, to hockey and construction (not show here).  It gave him such pride having input on all aspects of making his own quilt.  I loved watching him.


While waiting for my son's quilt to wash and dry at the laundry mat, I finished the binding on the Reversable crazy quilt.  One more bits the dust!!!

**Progress on my top 12 list (which turned out to be 18 instead)**

Work in progress:
2. Quilting - Michelle's midnight flight quilt (family)...........2/3 quilted, got some special thread
3. Quilting - Lise's hexagon quilt (family)
4. Quilting - Navy blue & cream quilt (my own)
5. Quilting - Midnight flight runway quilt (charity)..........2/3 done the quilting
6. Main work - Jean material quilt (charity)..........layout organized and labeled ready for sewing
7. Main work - Spools quilt (my own)
8. Main work - Mel's romance & roses quilt (family)
9. Leader/Ender - 16-patch pinwheel quilt (my own)..........more blocks done
10. Handwork - Reconstructed Dresden plate quilt (my own)...........moved to handwork section
11. Handwork - Lise's Dresden plate quilt (family)..........one more done, only seven left to go
12. Handwork - Machine wall hanging (my own)
13. Paper piece - Pineapple quilt (my own)..........more blocks done
15. Binding - Log cabin quilt (my own)..........now have approx. 4' done
17. Binding - Scrappy stripes quilt (charity)..........made and attached the binding
18. Binding - Small wonders quilt (charity)..........made and attached the binding

Total number of quilts completed - 3
Total number of quilts left to be completed - 15

Completed quilts:
1. Quilted Flo's hexagon quilt (commissioned) 
14. Sabryna's 16-patch pinwheel quilt (family)
16. Binding - Reversable crazy quilt & matching doll quilt (charity)

No comments:

Post a Comment