Sunday 28 February 2016

Monkey wrench blocks

I was reading Bonnie Hunter's blog, Quiltville, today on a post of January.  Bonnie called her post Monkeying around.  I thought it was a catchy title.  Bonnie is using the Monkey Wrench block from her scraps and mainly makes them when she is at her cottage, Quiltvilla.


I love her blocks, I absolutely love the texture she has in them.  A lot of plaids or lights with darker prints on them.  I want mine to be as spunky as these.  I think I will have to work on it a bit.  I find mine to be a bit flat in comparison to hers.


These are mine.  I like the ones with colour.  I think I just need to add in some more pattern or texture, not just tone on tone fabrics.  Bonnie uses a lot of shirting material.  It adds another layer of texture.  She also changes the position of her darks.  It is not always the half square triangle that is the darkest fabric in the block.  

I find it amazing what the little nuances will do in the overall effect of a block and therefore in the completed quilt.  I will have to make some adjustments to the next blocks, hopefully add in that spunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment