Tuesday 27 December 2016

Playing with 1 1/2" squares

While I was working on the borders for the 16-patch pinwheel quilt and the Spools quilt, I took out my plastic shoe box full of 1 1/2" squares.  I started sewing them up into four patches.  I need a gazillion four patches, or so it seems when you start making them.  The quilt I have in mind will be queen size.  

As these four patches only measure 2" finished, there are many, many, many I need to make.  I am not counting how many just yet.  If I have left overs there are other quilts I want to make that also use four patches.  I have been using these as my leader/ender while working on the borders.


Here is my storage container for all my completed four patches.  Can you tell I have a fetish for jars.  All types if pretty jars, even the old mason jars, and larger cookie jars.  I mostly like the clear ones, but fat ones, skinny ones, short ones, tall ones, it doesn't matter.  I like them all.  This one, I think was meant to hold spaghetti.  That is how tall it is.  It will be interesting, maybe even motivating to see the pile of four patches climbing up, up and up.


We are getting close to the end of the year now.  I am trying to be realistic with all that I have on my list of quilts to do, from my top 12 list.  I am trying to make one last effort, to get something else done this year.  Until I can get more familiar with the longarm, I am not comfortable with doing the few quilts that are on my list waiting to be quilted.  So, I think I will try to finish the Machine Wall Hanging, at least to the quilting stage and call it a successful year of quilt completions. 


**Progress on my top 12 list (which turned out to be 18 instead)**

Work in progress:      
7. Quilting - Spools quilt (my own)..........moved this to the quilting category
8. Main work - Mel's romance & roses quilt (family)..........moved this to the main work category
9. Quilting - 16-patch pinwheel quilt (gift to a friend)..........moved this to the quilting category
10. Handwork - Reconstructed Dresden plate quilt (my own)...........9 full blocks left to do
11. Quilting - Lise's Dresden plate quilt (family)..........waiting to be quilted
12. Handwork - Machine wall hanging (my own)..........working through the appliqué pieces
13. Paper piece - Pineapple quilt (my own)..........these are put on hold for now

Total number of quilts completed - 11
Total number of quilts left to be completed - 7

Completed quilts:
1. Quilted Flo's hexagon quilt (commissioned)
14. Quilted Sabryna's 16-patch pinwheel quilt (family)
16. Reversable crazy quilt & matching doll quilt (charity)
15. Log cabin quilt (my own)
18. Small wonders quilt (charity)
17. Scrappy stripes quilt (charity)
2. Michelle's midnight flight quilt (family)
6. Jean material quilt (charity)
5. Midnight flight runway quilt (charity)
3. Quilted Lise's hexagon quilt (family)
4. Navy blue & cream quilt (my own)

No comments:

Post a Comment