Sunday 25 December 2016

My first practice piece came off the longarm

After my temporary technical issue with the quilt path (operator error), I set out to figure out some of the blocks and pantographs.  I am liking the whole thing so far.  I still need a lot of practice, but I will make the sacrifice to get as much playing time in.  I am having fun with this, now that I have figured out some things and just relaxed a bit.  I have to stop expecting perfection.  I will never get it.  It is better to have a mind frame of, do your best and strive to continue to learn some more each and every time.

This first design is a feathered wreath block design that comes with the path.  I did some outlining and some stripling around it, as I plan to take any salvageable parts of the designs and make a reversable quilt to give away to charity.  Anything that turns out half decent, I will cut into a 9" block.


This next design is a purchased pattern from Urban Elementz called Chantilly designed by Patricia Ritter & Leisha Farnsworth.  I like this one.  It is simple and I think it will work well, for a teen quilt that I have to do.  It will obviously look better when it is quilted edge to edge.


This one is very pretty.  This one will be for my own quilt that is waiting to be quilted.  This one is also a purchased edge to edge design from Urban Elementz called Pergola designed by Patricia Ritter & Tracey Russell (our very own, Tracey).  I am loving this one Tracey!


After I did these few designs, I figured I would go back and add the stippling.  I was on stitch regulator mode.  I felt that the overall feel was a bit jerky.  That was when I discovered that I prefer to do the free hand stuff in constant stitch mode, not using the stitch regulator.  The stippling was more smooth when done in constant stitch mode.  I think it has something to do with the sound of the speed going up and down that affected me.

A thought came to me.  If I preferred constant stitch mode for the free hand stuff, maybe I would like it, to do the free hand pantographs.  I know I still need a lot of practice, but the flow is better than when I was in stitch regulator mode.  This paper pantograph came with the machine.  It is called Jessie's Swirls Simplified from Digitechpatterns.com designed by Jessica Schick.


So now, after opening all the Christmas gifts, making breakfast, the kids checking out all their gifts, me having an hour to play on my Longarm, we are all off to my mom's for more gift unwrapping, time with family and friends and a large Christmas dinner finished off with everyone's favourite desserts.

I am wishing everyone a very special Christmas, however each of you chooses to spend it.  Love all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment