Wednesday 25 June 2014

Did some more trimming, sorting and cutting

You can get a good amount done in a small amounts of time.  These smaller stripes are from my Mom.  She was cleaning up her last project and thought I might want the variety for my spool blocks.  I washed the stripes and ironed them, all using little bits of found time.


So far, I have this pile of spool parts cut up and matched together, ready to sew.  Doesn't look like mush, but there are at least ten blocks worth there.  



I have a basket on my cutting board that I want to start trimming.  I like the idea I got from Bonnie regarding cutting up your scraps in usable pieces.  For me so far, I cut up my pieces in 2" strips and squares plus 1" strips and squares.  The rest of the miscellaneous odd sizes go in a scrap basket or the scrap strips in a drawer.  Right now I only have the spools that I am cutting, but if I were thinking of a specific quilt I might want to make I would cut the leftover fabrics into those particular sizes.  It makes for short work of accumulating the pieces needed to make the quilt.  Try it, it really makes a difference.  This drawer of pre-cut 2" strips and blocks sorted into lights and darks can probable make a queen size quilt or larger.  This way I have instant variety without having to pull out all my fabrics.



No comments:

Post a Comment