Saturday 14 April 2018

Some progress on the Farmer's wife quilt

This is my April's American Patchwork & Quilting UFO challenge quilt.  I was really ready to give up on this one.  I am not too fond of the colours.  I was making this quilt with civil war type fabrics, but I find it too dirty looking.  I mean, all the colours seem to be washed out or maybe tea dyed is a better analogy.

Anyways, I posted it to the Facebook group and many of them were encouraging.  When I start something, I find that I cannot abandon it, as was suggested by some.  So I am taking the suggestion of one of the commenters, which was to move the blocks closer together and make the quilt smaller.

By making the quilt smaller, this meant that I didn't need to make the last 11 blocks.  I am ok with that!  I think just the knowledge that I don't have to make anymore of those blocks, helped me relax a bit more.


I moved the blocks closer together, rearranged them until I had a layout that I was ok with.  The second part of that person's suggestion was to sash them and call it done.  That is an option, but I had an idea in mind that I wanted to try out with this quilt.  I still want to try it.  If I find I am getting overwhelmed again, I may revert back to the suggestion to just sash them and call it done.


This was part of my idea.  I wanted to use the scraps left over from the blocks, to make a type of frame that goes around each block.  I am not too far ahead and there hasn't been much time wasted so far, but I am still thinking whether it is worth the effort to do it this way.  I haven't decided yet.


I may need to do some more to get the feel of it.  To really see how it will look.  

No comments:

Post a Comment