Sunday 8 April 2018

American Patchwork & Quilting UFO challenge for April

This is my April's quilt for the American Patchwork & Quilting UFO challenge.  This is my Farmer's wife quilt.  It is a sampler quilt from the book called The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt.  The book contains samples of 111 different 6" blocks.  

So far I have 24 blocks done with added border around each of them.  I thought I would enjoy making all the various blocks, but I soon found out that I don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.  I started this quilt in 2012 and did most of what you see here at that time.
  

The blocks were done and there it sat in a state of incompletion.  Eventually I put the blocks away in a time out box.  Some time later, I take them out, thinking I am going to redesign the quilt, so that I can get motivated again.  That's when I came up with the borders to separate the blocks from each other.  I also decided to put them on a diagonal with alternate blocks.  That's why you see them on the wall spread out.

Well........we are now the 8th of April and I feel absolutely no motivation to work on these.  Not even with this challenge.  I wrote as much on the Facebook group for this challenge and got so many suggestions.

Some of the suggestions were to pack them up and give them away to someone who would enjoy doing them, no need to stress over something you do not like anymore.  Others said to drop the design I had in mind and just put the blocks together with sashing and call it done.  There were others who suggested making small things like table toppers, placemats, pot holders, etc.  Just to use them up, practice quilting and call them done.

All good suggestions and there were more.  Everyone putting in their two cents worth.  Everyone trying to help me get my mojo back to complete this quilt, which is my April challenge.

I just don't know what to do.  I feel guilty just getting rid of them and giving them away.  I am a practical girl and wasting is not my thing.  I have been making a lot of small NICU quilts lately and I could use these too, but these colours are so drab, I just can't see covering a baby incubator with them.

So........I leave it on the design wall really hoping that by the end of the month something comes to me.

I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment