Wednesday 7 June 2017

Halton Hills Quilters' Guild upcoming quilt show

I belong to the Halton Hills Quilting Guild.  I thought I would do my part to promote this years upcoming quilt show.  The show is Friday, October 13, 10am-5pm and Saturday, October 14, 10am-4pm at the Croation Fraciscan Centre, 9118 Winston Churchill Blvd., Norval (Halton Hill), ON


The picture in the postcard above is the first prize raffle quilt and the picture below is the third prize.


There will be many quilts to see, as well as the usual Merchant Mall, Members' Boutique, Toonie Draw, Challenge Quilts and Tea Room.

As part of the Toonie Draw, the quilt members made/make an assortment of little wall hangings or table toppers with the sides not being any longer than 20" each.  The person in charge of this display and draw has requested 40 pieces of work, so that she can have a draw each day and a minimum of 20 items per day displayed.


This is my contribution.  It's not quilted yet, but I have up until next meeting, at the end of June.  This piece measures 16" each side.

I made this single house block a long time ago and placed it in a picture frame.  I didn't quite like the colours I used.  I felt the block to be a bit dark for the frame I had.  So, when they asked for pieces for the Toonie draw, I got to thinking.  What could I make?

It hit me, that I could design something small with this 4 1/2" house block.  You could even call it a log cabin in the woods.  Hence the 1" finished log cabin strips going around the block.  Lights on the bottom and right hand side, darks on the top and left hand side.  All this was bordered by a 2" strip with orange cornerstones.  Nothing fancy.

I finished the block in a little over an hour.  I pulled all the strips from my strip drawers.  I did not need to cut into any yardage for this.  I also plan to find the backing from my basket of miscellaneous chunks of fabric or my fat quarter stash.

So mark your calendar and come see the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment