Monday 19 June 2017

Finished the Dresden plate quilt

I little while back, I finished the vintage Dresden plate quilt.  This was the last of four quilts my cousin Lise and her husband Jim asked me to help them finish.  They were tops or blocks that needed to be finished into quilts.  They belongs to Jim's grandmother and his mother.  This particular one, the Dresden plates were made by Jim's mother.  I put all the blocks together and quilted the quilt.

It took me this long to post about it, because I was so excited to have it done and share it with my cousin and her husband, that I forgot to take a picture of the top.  Thanks Lise for the picture.  It looks pretty on the bed.


Here are a few close up pictures.  I designed this quilting design from various different sources and altered it to meet the space and cornerstone that is the centre of the motif.  The second picture below shows the pattern a bit better as the chalk is still present.



This one is a close up of the two borders.  After I finished the quilting of the cables on the last border, I cut back the border to follow the feathered motif and created a scalloped finished edge.  If you go up to the first picture you can see the scalloped edge.


I was very happy with the quilting on this one.  I continue to learn different things as I go.  All the fancier stitching though was done on my domestic machine, as that is where I am most comfortable when doing more intricate designs.

I am so happy.  It's always scary when you're told to do what ever you think is best.  There is always the chance that you will love it, but the recipient not so much.  Not in this case though.  My cousin and her husband love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment