Sunday 30 November 2014

Working on my Reversable Crazy quilt

I've had these blocks for the Crazy quilt done for some time.  I had the quilting done for quite some time too.  Now it is time to get this quilt done.  I need a finish for this year.  I am very behind on my own goal/progress. The year is coming to an end soon.  Got to get a move on it.    

It's not like I haven't completed any quilts this year, but they have been other people's quilts.  Now I want to get at least one that I can add to the list that I do for myself.  Well, when I say for myself, in this case I am referring to a quilt made solely by me.  This one is a giveaway quilt.  I have not decided yet who or what charity group it will go to, but it will not be mine to keep.


The crazy side of these blocks was from the smaller scraps in my basket.  The other side is a couple of fabrics that I used as plain blocks.  The sashing/binding will divide the blocks so the same fabric is not touching the same fabric. For the sashing/binding, I chose a navy blue for the crazy side and a turquoise blue for the plain blocks.


The technique of assembling the blocks and quilt comes from a book called, Reversable Quilts by Sharon Pederson.  Basically she gives you the measurements to cut the sashing/binding for each side. On one side you sew them on at the same time.  Once that is done you open up the small sashing/binding and sew it to the other side of the block, or in this case the other side of the row.

The one thing that you have to pay attention to when sewing the rows together is, that the sashing/binging for the row below it are lined up.  The best way to do that is to place your row on top of the second one and lift the edge to see if it is lined up.  Pin it in place so it does not move while sewing. 


This next picture is a view of the other side.  The sashing/binding is the light blue. It also lines up to the row beneath it.  When I open up and press the sashing/binding, I sew in the ditch of the dark blue side and it sews the light blue down along the edges.


This is a great technic to use when you want to practice or want to learn how to do the quilting designs.  You can use larger blocks and use the quilt as a sampler quilt for your quilting.  A different quilting design for each block.  I did mine all the same in this one.

I will show you a picture of the quilt when it is done.  I plan on adding borders to the quilt too.  Wait and see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment