Thursday 20 November 2014

Sewing machine applique

Last night with the weather, I got home an hour later than usual.  It ended up being a fend for yourself dinner and me rushing to go pick up an extra person to get to the quilting bee.  Some people cancelled, but the fact that the person who hosts the bee is just down the street and across Renforth, I was not going to miss it.  I had finished my pillow blocks and didn't have anything ready in my grab and go bag.  Last minute choice was to take my Sewing Machine Appliqué wall hanging with me. 

I started the wall hanging a little while ago.  The kit was a gift from the husband of a past quilting bee member who passed away.  Her husband asked for some assistance to finish one of her quilts for him to keep.  How could we say no.  So one person provided the backing, another person sandwiched the quilt, I quilted it and attached the binding my machine and another person finished the binding by hand.  It was a joint effort.  Each one of use having the opportunity to say good bye.


The wall hanging/table runner is called Comfort by Barbara Cherniwchan - Coach House Designs.  How fitting.  The finished wall hanging measures 43" wide x 19" high.

This is what I have done of it.  So far, I completely assembled the base/background, added the stems and flowers, did some of the sewing machine (the rest goes on later after a few more pieces), and now I am attaching the ribbon that swirls about on the opposite side of the machine from the flowers.


What do I still have left?  I have to do the spools of thread, the basket of yarn, the bird and the remaining parts if the sewing machine.  I would say that I am over half way there, probably 3/4 of the way done if you consider the time it took to make the base/background.  Instead of all in blues, my wall hanging is in the blacks with other colours for the accessories.

I like how it is looking.  I think I am going to get back into this one and try to get it done.  I know exactly where I am going to hang it.  I have a spot right over top of my armoire unit where I have my old sewing machine that looks just like the wall hanging.  I'll hang it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment