Sunday 16 April 2017

Quilting the Dresden plate quilt

I started doing the fancier quilting motifs for the Dresden plate quilt on my domestic sewing machine.  I know I can get better precision quilting on the domestic versus the longarm.  Still have to practice free hand stuff on the longarm before I will tackle a customer quilt.

This is a picture of the quilting between the blocks.  The centre purple block is the cornerstone of the blocks.  The quilting design is very pronounced in the picture, as I didn't remove the blue chalk that I used to mark the design with the stomper.  It is turning out really well.


This morning I finished off one border.  I am using a combination line cable and feathered cable intertwined to make the cable that runs around the perimeter.  I did the bead board lines using a 1" spacing between the purple border and the cable motif.  The 1" spacing means that the first line is drawn, the second line goes 1/4" away and the third is 3/4" away from the second.  It makes for very close intense quilting, but it is worth it.  It looks great!


Once I am done the quilting, I intend to do a soft scalloped edge to follow the contours of the quilted cable.  I am hoping the customer will like it.  They are basically giving me carte blanch in choosing the quilting I want to do.  My own opinion is that it is coming together nicely.

I have to get back to it.  I have three more borders and about 3/4 of the centre quilting to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment