Tuesday 25 April 2017

Morning quilt class

Saturday my mom and I went to a quilt class.  One of the women from the quilt guild headed up the class to teach us how to make a New York beauty block.

Everyone's blocks were great and there were none that looked the same.  It is amazing how different the same block can look depending on your choices of fabrics.  This is my version.  Instead of bright fabrics I wanted to try a more tame look.  When I do make more blocks, I think I will restrict myself to black, grey, burgundy, reds and pinks.  It may look a bit more sophisticated.....maybe.  We shall see.


This block comes from the pattern called New York Beauty Sampler Quilt by Gretony Quilts, as seen below.  This pattern has many different blocks that you can mix and match to make your quilt.  The pattern has set the blocks in a window panes setting, but you can place them side by side in numerous layouts.  These blocks are done using paper piece for the points.


I took this class, because I have been wanting to make my own quilt for a while now.   I even bought a pattern, as seen below.  There are even more, different types of New York beauty blocks.  The biggest difference between these blocks and the ones we worked on Saturday, is that my pattern is to make a 15.5" X 20.5" mini quilt.  That means the blocks are only 3" square.  It ought to be interesting.


I think it was good to take the class.  Not only did I get to meet more guild members, one on one during the class, but now I don't feel as intimidated by the New York beauty block itself.  The teacher was very good with her instructions.  It was a pleasant morning.

After class and running around doing errands, it was a bit later in the day, so I thought I would take it easy.  I finally finished trimming all the drunkard's path units that I'd done.  Over 120 of them.  My jar is filling up!  I only have two more piles about 2 1/2" tall to sew up.  I can start assembling the blocks.  Progress is happening!





No comments:

Post a Comment