Friday 14 April 2017

Finished quilting another scrappy quilt

Today I decided to practice some free motion quilting and some ruler work, both on the one quilt.  I did an all over basket weave design on the blocks in the centre and a half circle going in both directions in each side strip that makes up the border. 


Above is an example of the half circles and how they intertwine with each other.  If you enlarge the picture you can see better what I mean.  Below are some examples of just how scrappy this quilt is.  These fabric were given to me by a previous bee member. They are from a fabric swatch book and are a light weight upholstery cotton fabric.


As they come from a swatch book, you will find many fabrics that are the same, just in different colour ways.  Most of the fabrics were large floral prints.  In the picture above you can also see the effect of quilting a basket weave pattern.


Above is the whole quilt.  It is a large lap quilt.  The centre squares finish at 4" and the side pieces are 2" X 4".  I find it a bit dark and busy, but it is now a finished quilt to be given to someone who may need a hug.  Below is a picture of the back.  I used a tone on tone fabric where you cannot see the design.  It reads as a solid and makes the quilting really stand out.  It's not bad.  Looks kind of cool.


Tomorrow I have to get some errands done, but when I get back I hope to get back to quilting the Dresden plate quilt for my cousin.  The first drafted design turned out too big, so I have to start by redrafting the design.  I am glad I noticed it before I got too far along with the quilting.

Enjoy your Easter celebrations everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment