Saturday 14 January 2017

Storage for my longarm needs

Yesturday I had a vacation day.  So, I took advantage of the time.  First stop was IKEA for an armoire to hang customer quilts waiting to be quilted, plus space for backings.  You just have to love IKEA.  They have something for everyone and their needs.  Sometimes you have to look at things in a different way or for a different purpose.  Like my cutting board I have in my quilting room.  The intended use was for a kitchen island with storage.  It works great in my quilt room!

Here is my progress before breaking for lunch.  Maddie finds it boring while I assemble the armoire, so she sleeps on the coach.


After lunch I head back down to the basement where I have my longarm.  I finished the armoire, just in time to go pick up my daughter from the subway after school, and because I was already out, I dragged her to Home Depot to pick up some MDF board and some PVC pipes.  I have a plan for more storage and organization.


First thing I worked on, before I quit for the night, was with the PVC pipes.  I have been searching for a way to store my batting out of the way and get it off the floor.  If you enlarge the photo above, you will see the rack I made to hold my batting, to keep it up and out of the way.  This way it is also easier to access when I need it.  I just unroll it!  

Now I just have to make another one, for the smaller roll of batting.  Unfortunately, it didn't happen last night, because it was getting late, I was tried and I glued the pieces incorrectly.  Once you fuse the pieces with the glue, there is no getting them apart.

Today I continue, but first I head back to Home Depot for the four pieces that I oops'ed on.  I still didn't get the second PVC pipe rack done yet, but instead I completed the shelf unit I made with the MDF board.  I had already designed the unit, to fit snug between my drew units, that I picked up at IKEA, a while back.

As I knew what I wanted I planned out the pieces per 4'x8' sheet and had the guys there cut them.  All the pieces were cut with eight cuts, that's $8.00 in total to have them cut the boards.  It was well worth it!  Can you imagine dragging out all the machinery/tools I would need and cutting the pieces in this freezing weather.  Not for me.  Plus, because they were cut already it was easier to transport it home.

All I had to do was pre-drill all the holes and screw the unit together.  I even made the legs, in order to have this unit match the height of the drawer units.  I think it is looking good so far.


Here is a picture of the unit.  Now all I have to do is determine where I want the shelves, prime and paint the whole unit.  This really cleans up the space and provides me with much needed storage.

I am almost done with this room.  Just some small odds and ends.  That makes me happy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment