Friday 6 January 2017

My Mom's Christmas wall hanging

While at my mom's for Christmas I spied her Christmas wall hanging.  Sorry about the blurry pictures.  The lighting where it was hanging was not very good.  Below my mom's wall hanging is a picture of the pattern cover.  I think my mom did a great job on this one.  This was her first appliqué ever, though she does have experience in sewing.


This pattern is call Dash Away by Bee Creative Studios. The wall hanging measures 38" X 59".


This next picture does not show the true colour of the fabric, which is actually a deep faded blue.  However I wanted to share with you the quilting I did in it, on my domestic sewing machine.  At the time I quilted this, I was fairly new to quilting.

To start off with I did in the ditch around all the main pieces (ie moon, clouds, stars, reindeers, and Santa with his sled).  For the sky I was trying to do a dense filler that would also provide some movement.  I did a back and forth motion that resembles waves.  The clouds are not seen well here, but they have sporadic upward arcs.


For the moon, I went around and around the inside of the moon, all the way to the centre.  The sled gold rim I echo stitched and  the sled itself Was done with large swirls.  My mom later went back and added the fancy gold threads, by hand, to complete the sled and the reindeer antlers.


Very pretty mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment