Friday 15 January 2016

Working on some prep work

I had a bit of time Wednesdays evening, as the quilting bee was call off, due to the hostess being sick.  I took advantage of the time and pulled out my Dresden plate parts.  This is my Reconstructed Dresden plate quilt.  The pieces are mostly from 1930-40s.  The background was feed sacks.  Some of the feed sacks still had the faint print from the product logo on them.

Unfortunately, some of them were deteriorating and the workmanship was lacking, that some of the plates were starting to fall apart. Possibly the thread was old and starting to snap.  In any case, I picked this quilt top off of eBay for less than $10.00 US.

I liked the quilt enough to gently take it apart, find some matching sashing fabric, and I'm going to reassemble the quilt again.  This time though with more stable background fabric.  This time it should last longer too because it will get quilted.  I feel the top was being used for a summer cover, but without the benefit of the backing and quilting, it started to breakdown with use.


This is all that I accomplished.  It is hard to believe, but this little basket holds 165 petals.  There are 8 oranges, 7 purple, 9 stripes, 12 blacks, 14 reds, 12 browns, 26 yellows, 28 greens, 47 pinks & 2 blues.  I have a large stack of blues left to trim.  In total I need 364 blades to make this quilt the same as it was when I bought it.

There are an unusual amount of blades in each block, 26 of them.  And there are 12 full blocks and 4 half blocks that make up this quilt.

Tonight is my night off.  Yay!!!!

I plan on finishing the remaining 199 petals that I need.  After I can move this quilt up my list from prep work to main work.  This is one of the quilts on my list of twelve to do this year, and maybe I can get back to assembling the Midnight flight runway quilt.

Enjoy your evening everyone and take advantage of your time, you will miss it when it is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment