Monday 4 January 2016

Finished quilting Flo's hexagon quilt

Yay!!! I have my first finish of the year.  This is Flo's hexagon quilt.  She made a lap quilt.  The hexagons measure 1 1/2" each side.  Her layout is a single floret in the middle of the quilt surrounded by four larger florets that have three rounds to them.


This is a close up of the centre floret.  I still like the simple echo lines in each floret best to emphasize the hexagon shape.


This next picture is one of the larger florets.  I am trying to show this in shadows to help the quilting stand out, but with the different fabrics used the quilting design fades in and out.  


I decided to show the back of the larger floret.  As the backing is tone on tone white, it is easier to see the quilting design.  On each of the larger florets I quilted a feathered wreath. I filled in the hexagons with an echo of the hexagon that also echoes the feather design, just so the quilting would be consistent throughout the quilt.


I also finished the ends of this quilt in envelope style to avoid the bulky binding.  I like the overall effect the quilting and edges has on this quilt top.  It looks pretty.  For this quilt, you may have noticed that I finished off the edges a bit different on the top and bottom versus the two sides.

With the larger hexagons, I felt it would be more dainty looking to cut off the large sides of the hexagon on the top and bottom rows, but I left the little points of the side rows for a little interest to the quilt.

For an add on to my post, I am going to try something a bit different. I want to motivate myself to achieve progress on my list of quilts to do.  I have decided to list my goal for 2016.  As I finish something from my list, I can cross them off.  We will see how that goes.  Bare with me.  If it does not interest anyone, just stop reading once you see the header progress on my top 12 list, as it will always be at the very bottom of a post (I will only add this on the posts that I actually finish something from the list).

***Progress on my top 12 list (which turned out to be 18 instead)***

From the quilting section:
2. Michelle's midnight flight quilt (family)
3. Lise's hexagon quilt (family)
4. Navy blue & cream quilt (my own)

From the assemble section:
5. Main work - Midnight flight runway quilt (charity)
6. Main work - Jean material quilt (charity)
7. Main work - Spools quilt (my own)
8. Main work - Mel's romance & roses quilt (family)
9. Handwork - Lise's Dresden plate quilt (family)
10. Handwork - Machine wall hanging (my own)
11. Leader/Ender - 16-patch pinwheel quilt (my own)
12. Prep work - Reconstructed Dresden plate quilt (my own)
13. Paper piece - Pineapple quilt (my own)

To be binded: 
14. Sabryna's 16-patch pinwheel quilt (family)
15. Log cabin quilt (my own)
16. Crazy quilt (charity)
17. Scrappy stripes quilt (charity)
18. Small wonders quilt (charity)

Total number of quilts completed - 1
Total number of quilts left to be completed - 17

Completed quilts:
1. Flo's hexagon quilt (commissioned)

No comments:

Post a Comment